Sunday, March 30, 2014

At Long Last!

I finally did it! The 1880's bodice is finished. It's over two weeks late, but I still snuck it in before the next challenge date so it counts!


This is the inspiration for the dress. I started with the Truly Victorian french vest bodice pattern as my base since it is very similar to this bodice. Boy did it take me longer than I expected!


And here's my version! Unfortunately the vest portion fabric tends to get a little washed out in photos so it's hard to see the difference. It fits like a glove but even with the boning in it wrinkles like crazy .I've got no clue why it does it or how to fix it, so I'll just have to live with it.


I really hated the feather trim on the original but I decided to use its placement as a guideline for a different neckline. With the project running so late I was really dreading the faux-double collar the pattern had. My solution was to just cut it down and add some lace, forgoing the need for a collar at all. I might add more trim in later when I make up the skirts but that won't be for a few more weeks yet.


I absolutely love the little pleats on the back even though mine refuse to behave properly. It's my fault for the way I finished them. Even though it has lots of little problems here and there, I couldn't be more pleased with it for my first attempt at a bodice.


I found some really pretty little round buttons for it too! Not really sure about their historical accuracy but I think they look okay.


I can't get over that silhouette either!

The Challenge: #5 Bodice

Fabric: Cotton sateen, Mystery upholstery fabric and linen for the lining

Pattern: Truly Victorian 463

Year: 1885

Notions: Metal and cane boning, 16 buttons, lace, thread

How Historically Accurate is it? I'm only giving this one 75%, it's close but I took a lot of shortcuts

Hours to Complete: I completely lost track but probably between 15 and 20

First Worn: For photos this afternoon

Total Cost: Almost everything came from the stash, I spent $25 on buttons

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is truly inspirational. I am extremely impressed and more than a little jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you so much! To be honest it was a little easier thanks to the pattern I had. I was originally going to draft my own pattern and I'm pretty sure I'd have given up on it if I had tried!

      Delete